What Is Keratosis Pilaris?
Keratosis pilaris (KP) certainly a very frequent and may trouble one half of the population. This is an absolutely unhazardous condition of the skin. It impacts 50-70% of children as well as somewhere around 40% of grownups. Its name provides some perception of what it actually is; ‘keratosis’ means that there exists an excessive amount of keratin that makes up the tough horny external covering of the skin area, while ‘pilaris’ originates from the Latin for hair. It is also known as “Chicken skin”. In keratosis pilaris, numerous tiny (One to two millimeter across) horny plugs can be found blocking the head of hair follicles around the top and external areas of the arms and thighs. This could appears like goose bumps however seems a little bit rough. Keratosis pilaris shows up whenever extra keratin grows in the follicles of hair. This often begins in younger ages and gets much more noticeable during teenage years and in adult life. For causes not entirely recognized the problem appears to be much better in the summer compared to the cold winter months possibly because in the wintertime your skin layer often gets dry while in summer time the sweat can make it less dry. Keratosis pilaris might be connected with ichthyosis vulgaris as well as atopic eczema, on the other hand this could be coincidental.
Causes of Keratosis pilaris:
This kind of harmless skin disorder is the consequence of an accumulation of keratin — a hair protein — within the skin pores. In case you have chicken skin, the keratin of your body hair will get blocked in the skin pores, obstructing the opening of increasing follicles of hair. Because of this, a tiny bump forms over the place where a hair should be. In case you were starting to pick at the bump, you could possibly notice a tiny body hair arise.
The precise reason for keratin buildup is not known, however medical professionals consider it might be related to other skin problems like atopic dermatitis as well as genetic health problems.
Keratosis pilaris symptoms and signs:
Usually, keratosis pilaris affected individuals present having a dotted, patchy skin rash consists of tiny red or brown bumps. Between 10 to 100s of very tiny a little bit rough bumps develop a fine sandpaper-like surface. Several of the bumps can be marginally red or have an associated light-red halo revealing inflammation.
Often, a tiny, coiled hair gets stuck underneath the rough bump. Sufferers may complain about a rough surface along with an abnormal cosmetic physical appearance of the skin. The cheeks may seem pink, reddish, flushed, and studded along with very small bumps.
Natural Treatment of Keratosis pilaris:
Presently there are no certain tests for keratosis pilaris. No treatment clears keratosis pilaris completely, but some natural remedies can improve the condition temporarily. In case you do not like the appearance of your keratosis pilaris, there are some approaches you can try to take care of it at home naturally. Although the condition cannot be treated fully, self-care remedies will help you to reduce bumps, itchiness, and discomfort.
Here below I am listing some natural methods which can help you to treat Keratosis pilaris.
1. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil works as a fantastic keratosis pilaris home cure, in fact, it is very good not just to your hair but also for your skin layer too. It’s one of a kind fatty acids soften your skin and supply nourishment from inside. The powerful antibacterial and anti-inflammatory components of coconut oil assist recover skin inflammation as time passes.
You will need 2 tablespoons extra virgin coconut oil and 1 tablespoon brown-sugar. Warm the coconut oil slightly and mix the brown sugar in it. You need to rub this mixture on the infected areas for two to three minutes. Wash the area with water. You require to do this each and every day.
2. Essential Oils: You will need two-three drops lemon essential oil, two-three drops lavender essential oil and two tablespoons olive oil. Then you should mix all the oils and make a mixture. You need to
“Lemon” oil has herbal antioxidants that will certainly keep your skin healthy and balanced. This also provides antifungal components which will keep the skin infection-free. Lavender oil helps the lemon oil to keep your skin healthy using its antibacterial components. Additionally, it eases the skin and the mind.
3. Baking Soda: You simply need 2-3 tablespoons baking soda and water. Mix plenty of normal water with the soda to create a paste of moderate persistence. Apply that on the affected area and lightly massage in circular movements for 3 to 5 minutes. Clean with normal water. Try this every day before having bath.
Baking soda takes away dead skin cells as well as enhances the circulation of blood to give the pores and skin a soft and polished look. In addition, it decreases your skin infection.
4. Argan Oil: Try to collect some argan oil and massage the oil on the affected reddish area and leave it as it is. Continue doing this 2 times a day and you will probably start to see the results within a short while.
Argan oil is really a non-greasy oil which nourishes your skin. It’s full of vitamin E that will help in keeping a nutritious and blemish-free skin. Argan oil can also be useful in curing injuries and scar issues.
5. Tea Tree Oil: You just need 2 drops of tea tree essential oil and 10 drops of coconut oil. Try to make a mixture of the two oils and massage the solution onto the infected area. Then leave it on for several minutes. Perform this twice a day.
Tea tree essential oil purifies your skin, which makes it very clear and healthy. It has the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory components which will certainly help with providing you quick relief out of keratosis pilaris, without getting any infections.
6. Aloe Vera: You just need fresh aloe vera gel and a Cotton pad.
You can do this 2 or 3 times a day to get best result.
7. Warm Baths: Having quick, comfortable warm baths will help you to unclog and relax pores. Scrub your skin using a firm brush to get rid of bumps. It’s vital that you limit your time in the shower, however, simply because longer shower times can take away the body’s natural skin oils.
8. Try to avoid tight clothes: Try to avoid wearing tight clothes as much as possible. Because wearing tight clothing may cause scrubbing that can irritate your skin.
9. Cod Liver Oil for Keratosis Pilaris: You just need to buy Cod liver oil capsules available in the market. You need to take two capsules each day.
Cod liver oil is made up of omega-3 essential fatty acids which have anti-inflammatory as well as healing components. Cod liver oil is usually advised for a healthy and balanced body and also skin.
10. Diet plan to support Keratosis Pilaris: In order to fight keratosis pilaris as well as its signs and symptoms, simply using products and ingredients on the skin surface is not sufficient. You should also try to consume the right kind of food items. This will provide your body the necessary vitamins and minerals and antioxidants to fight skin conditions including Keratosis Pilaris better. Include the following food items in your diet in order to increase skin health:
- Fresh vegetables and fruits. Try to have
minimum5 servings in one day.
- Vitamin A and E-rich food items like pumpkins, mangoes, tomatoes, papaya, green leafy vegetables, carrot etc.
- Food items full of omega-3 essential fatty acids as well as lean meat.
So these are the basic natural treatment to fight against Keratosis Pilaris which is also known as chicken skin. Hope you guys like this and try to follow these to get relief from Keratosis Pilaris. Best of luck and don’t forget to comment if you have any questions.